NO TIME TO BAKE? – EASY CHOCOLATE DESSERT
Need a dessert for that potluck party where the hostess has asked you to bring the dessert? With work, family and other commitments, it’s very easy to want to stop off at the bakery department in your favorite grocery store and pick something up on the way. Everyone is delighted that you did bring something and that they didn’t have to bake, but didn’t Jane bring that to Chris’s potluck last month? Somehow a fruit or veggie tray seems easier. Never fear! Today’s chocolatey dessert recipe is quick, easy to assemble, and will blow everyone’s socks off! No baking required! It only looks like you slaved all day over a hot oven – our secret! … and p.s. you make this light and scrumptious chocolate dessert the night before.
1 prepared angel food cake (from the store)
2 packages whipped topping mix (add milk, vanilla)
1 package chocolate mousse mix
1 – 6oz package sliced almonds
1. Toast almonds in a frying or heavy saucepan in 1 tablespoon butter until golden. Watch carefully. Remove from heat immediately and put onto paper towel to keep from further browning. You could also toast the almonds in the oven at 350F. Watch carefully and stir occasionally.
2. Whip one package of the whipped topping according to package directions.
3. Prepare whipped mousse dessert. Add to the whipped topping. Blend well.
4. Lightly butter a tube cake pan.
5. Break or cut cake into 1 inch pieces. Place half the cake pieces in the bottom of the cake pan.
6. Pour half the whipped mixture on top and push down into the cake pieces so that the whipped mixture coats the cake and goes to the bottom of the pan.
7. Sprinkle half the almond slices on top.
8. Repeat the layers, making sure that the whipped mixture goes down around the cake pieces.
9. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight,
10. Unmold onto a fancy plate by first placing pan in hot water for about 10 seconds and running a hot wet knife around the edges of the cake in the pan.
11. Frost using the second package of whipped topping. Sprinkle with almonds. Serves 10 easily.